In my recent post on Paleo beauty products I outlined why I’m trying to remove all toxins from my life and substitute with natural ingredients.
Today I’m going to cover an all-natural alternative to a deep conditioner. Making your own conditioner can sound intimidating, after all nobody wants a bad hair day. But this conditioner actually works well, even for frizzy hair. The best part about this conditioner is that it is relatively cheap to make, and all natural (the ingredients list looks more like a fruit salad than a chemistry lab).
This recipe works great but there’s a caveat to it: your hair will NOT be as easy to brush as it is after a use of commercial conditioner. It does make your hair stronger, healthier, less frizzy and nicer to touch – but you will only see the effect when it dries. So don’t panic when you are having a bit of a more hard time than usual untangling your hair after it’s washed. It’s worth it.
Ingredients (last 4 weeks when used 1 times/week; you can freeze the rest in small containers. I use empty spice shakers to store the conditioner):
- 1 avocado
- 1 banana
- 1 eggyolk
- 1.5 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup coconut milk
Mix all the ingredients in a blender and it’s done!
1. Wash your hair with no-poo method (spray with a mix of 1 tbs of baking soda and 1 cup of water, massage in and rinse)
2. Condition your hair with the no-poo method (spray with a 1:1 mix of water and apple cider vinegar)
3. Dry hair a with a towel
4. Apply the conditioner and let sit for 25 minutes while your hair is covered with a shower cap
5. Rinse with water only
6. For extra dry hair, after you dry your hair with a towel, massage in a small amount of coconut oil (just enough to make your hands shine)